Do you want a clear conscience after Election Day 2020? I do. So I BOUGHT one by taking action now. I just gave not-a-lot-of-money to six Democratic Senatorial campaigns. You can buy that same peace in about 10 minutes – one entry of your credit card number is good for all the links below. You’ll like the person in the mirror a little better for doing it. I promise.
- Sarah Gideon in Maine (vs Susan Collins) – https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ads-gs-evergreendtd
- John Hickenlooper in Colorado (vs Cory Gardner) – https://secure.actblue.com/donate/hickenlooper-colorado2020
- Mark Kelly in Arizona (vs Martha McSally) – https://secure.actblue.com/donate/mek-website
- Cal Cunningham in North Carolina (vs Thom TIllis) – https://secure.actblue.com/donate/cal-website
- Amy McGrath in Kentucky (vs Mitch McConnell) – https://secure.actblue.com/donate/cal-website
- Theresa Greenfield (vs Joni Ernst) – https://secure.actblue.com/donate/tg-website-2020
Why give to Senate campaigns? $10 each; or $50; or $250. $60, $300, or $1,500 is a small price to pay to reserve the right to say “I did what I could.” Everyone can find some money and ten minutes.
- Your dollars go a lot further in a Senate race.
- You don’t have to agonize over which Presidential candidate to support. These are clear front-runners who need your money NOW. The Presidential campaigns will do just fine without you.
- We already know what happens if a Democrat wins the White House, but Mitch McConnell still runs the senate. Remember the stasis and frustration of Obama’s last 6 years in office. Nothing got done after the Senate flipped. Feeding the national frustration that brought us Trump. McConnell laughing all the way to the bank.
- If Trump wins and the Democrats win the Senate/House, the nation will be OK. Trump will be reduced to railing from his twitter account.
- If a Democrat wins the White House and McConnell stays in power, we’re guaranteed 4 years of conflict and partisanship.
- If Trump wins and McConnell stays in power, you’ll at least avoid the shame of knowing you could have done more.
- All the candidates above are viable incumbent-defeaters. The longest shot is Amy McGrath in Kentucky. But I believe no dollar spent on defeating McConnell is ever wasted. Never forget McConnell flat out refused to let a Spring 2016 Supreme Court nomination go through. That flagrant foul arguably put a deeper hole below the waterline of American Democracy than anything Trump has done (so far).
Trump grabs the headlines, but the real evil lies in his enablers. Craven, self-interested, sell-outs who’d rather rule a ruined hulk than give up power. Mitch McConnell and the Lapdogs. Yertle the Turtle on his throne of minions.
Humor aside, we are living through a moment of “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” A lesson I’ve really taken to heart from recent reading. I’m horrified about the direction this country is taking. But I had an awkward moment a few months ago after reading “Defying Hitler: A Memoir” – an excellent, gripping, highly readable book written in 1939 before WW2.
Was I doing any better than the upper-middle-class people who complained about this vulgarian racist and his craven followers, but did precisely nothing to stop them?
I was finally moved to act by a 2005 book I’m reading now – “The Anatomy of Fascism” by the (excellent) historian of inter-war Europe Robert Paxton. More on that later.
Right now, click those links folks! Buy yourself some peace.